So I am a huge dork, if you didn't already know this. While I was in Phoenix working, I ordered a new cookbook and could not have been more excited to have it sitting on my desk when I got back to the office. It really is the smallest things that make me excited...buying my flowers, ordering a cookbook, or even just making up some pancakes with friends. Well the cookbook I ordered was the Joy the Baker cookbook, and it is basically awesome. Plus, I was super pumped to find the recipe for these cupcakes in there.
The second birthday girl for the week had requested low-fat chocolate-chocolate cupcakes. I saw the recipe for these vegan chocolate avocado cupcakes with vegan buttercream frosting and knew they would fit the bill. At around 178 calories a piece (I seriously used a recipe calorie counter), you would have no idea that they are vegan. They are light and fluffy, with the avocado almost making them creamy. The buttercream, while not super rich, is light and fluffy and comes together very easily. I will definitely be making these again and I can't wait to try more recipes out of this cookbook. So, if you are looking for a lighter cupcake, or have a friend who is allergic to dairy or a vegan friend make them a treat they are sure to enjoy!
Yay new cookbook!!!
I wasn't joking there is a 1/2 cup of avocado in these.
Into the oven they go....the come out and are so pretty, but I definitely accidentally deleted the photo.
I felt like decorating these a bit, so swirls and dots it was...
Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes: (recipe from Joy the Baker, adapted to make 2 dozen cupcakes)
*makes approximately 2 dozen cupcakes
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup mashed ripe avocado
2 cups water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with foil or paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, oil, avocado, water, vinegar and vanilla.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda.
4. Add the flour mixture to the avocado mixture and fold or whisk together until well combined. The batter is so loose that it's easiest to place the batter in a liquid measuring cup and pour into paper liners. Fill the liners until about 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring onto wire racks to cool completely.
Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
3/4 cup Earth Balance butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 - 2/12 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 - 2 tablespoons soy milk
1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl, and using either an electric stand mixer, or hand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and pliable.
2. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl. In a small mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together, then add the cocoa powder and sugar to the butter. Turn the mixer on low to slowly incorporate.
3. Add the vanilla and soy milk. Increase the mixer speed to medium or medium-high and beat the mixture until the frosting is soft and fluffy.
4. Once the cupcakes are completely cool, frost and enjoy!