Okay I am going to do it...I am going to say hi to summer and welcome it with open arms. I know, I know, it is not officially summer, but in my book once Memorial Day weekend hits...well its game on and I am so ready for it, because summer is basically my favorite...here's why:
I like my white dresses, my white pants, my skirts AND my white shorts...
I like my windows rolled down at night with my music blasting...this summer it might be to this song ("Springsteen" by Eric Church) or maybe a lot of this one ("Payphone" by Maroon 5)...and trust that I will be singing at the top of my longs when no one else is in the car. Have I ever mentioned I have terrible taste in music...
I like my cocktails refreshing and slightly fruity...and occasional served with a straw...
I like to lay by the pool or on a boat or on a beach blanket and be classy drinking my beer out of the can...or maybe even just floating down a river.
I want to do LOTS of cooking out and hanging out with friends.
I plan on to spending my Fridays in the sculpture garden, listening to Jazz, sipping wine and stuffing my face with picnic basket foods for Jazz in the Sculpture Garden.
I love dinners with friends, for no reason other than the hangout and eat delicious food...especially when this involves a porch.
This year I resolve to make the most of summer before fall comes along and with it, winter whispering at our doors. To start this summer off there was a dinner with old friends; a girls night lounging on the couch with the windows open and of course...
Some serious cucumber-infused gin cocktail action...
This is what happens when three girls get together for dinner...fancy cocktails and the mess that is involved with making them...
Bianca made us this delicious dinner...where we proceeded to stuff our faces and then move on to dessert.
Okay so lets talk about the picture up top there...that was dessert. It was my hello there summer, I think we need to celebrate you with chocolate-chocolate chip waffle ice cream sandwiches. I am so for serious here, that even though these take some time to make, they are totally worth it. The waffle is chocolaty and rich, and the vanilla ice cream lightens everything up. The waffle stays a bit soft, but has the crunch from the chocolate chips, so you aren't biting into a rock solid waffle and basically yeah...they are delicious. So say hello to summer and give these a try. Enjoy!
This is a simple one...lets just mix everything together.
Into the waffle iron...
Chocolate-chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches: (recipe adapted from waffles from Alton Brown)
*makes approximately 8 ice cream sandwiches
7 ounces all purpose flour, approximately 1 1/2 cups
1 3/4 ounces sugar, approximately 3 tablespoons
1.5 ounces cocoa powder, approximately 1/2 cup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 whole eggs, beaten
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature (2 cups)
4 ounces chocolate chips, approximately 3/4 cup
Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, apple sauce and vanilla, and then add the buttermilk.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir in the chocolate chips just until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, ladle the waffle batter onto the center of the iron. Close the iron top and cook until the waffle is crispy on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Mine we about 3 1/2 minutes.
6. Once waffles have cooled, cut into rounds using a 3 inch cookie cutter. Fill with vanilla ice cream and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to be served. Enjoy!